Google+

Friday, January 14, 2011

Dealing with Dragons, 3/100



Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable.

First line from Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, which got me hooked standing in the lobby of my apartment building at 10:45 this morning. Because, you see, I had just received it in the mail via Bookmooch. So forgoing the other novels in progress from my list, I devoured this one today.

And I've decided the other 30 or so books needed to fill my 100 book reading list don't necessarily have to be from the Guardian list. Because, sheesh. Am I cheating for including a children's book in the count? Well, pish posh.

Such a cute book. I've got the rest of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles wishlisted now. Yet again, a book I would've loved as a kid. Maybe I should change this challenge into a "Shit I wish I Would've Read 15 years Ago" adventure.

Basic rundown: The story revolves around Cimorene, the reluctant princess, who lives in a world of fairy tale stereotypes and tropes. Where everyone is pressured to fill their role in the "proper" way. Not just princesses. But princes, knights, dragons...even giants kill just to avoid being laughed at by their peers (giant peers). So she runs away, voluntarily becomes the captive of a dragon, and hilarity ensues.

Because it's funny. It's really funny. In that non-cynical, non-dick joke kind of way. Which believe me, after last year's reading, was a refreshing change.

"What is it?" whispered Therandil.

"Trouble," said Cimorene.

"Thou speakest truly, O Daughter of Wisdom," said the giant in a booming voice that filled the cave. "For I am a jinn, who was imprisoned in that jar, and I am the instrument of thy death and that of thy paramour."

"My what" Cimorene said, outraged.

"Thy lover," the jinn said uncomfortably. "The man who stands beside thee."

"I know what you meant," Cimorene said. "but he isn't my lover, or my fiance, or my boyfriend of anything, and I refuse to be killed with him."

Ever get a song stuck in your head when reading? I do. A lot. When reading this one "Execution of All Things" by Rilo Kiley kept replaying in my head.



I also got the Falcor music from The Neverending Story stuck in my head, but that's another story. A...a NEVERENDING ONE.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. "Shit I wish I Would've Read 15 years Ago"

    I love that!

    And, this sounds like such a good, fun book. It's great to read classics and literary books, but every once in a while, you just want to sit down with a fun, quick read. There's nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this when I was younger and just loved it

    ReplyDelete