Google+

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reading Challenge for 2013


Back in 2011 I challenged myself to read 100 books. And failed. Miserably. So for this year I thought, why not let my soul be crushed again by another spectacular failure? Great idea!

My soul can take it.

But I'll switch it up a little this time. This year instead of a set number of "books" (which believe it or not was hard to define when it came down to it), I will vow to read a set number of pages. 20,000 to be exact. 

Twenty K seems like a good number. It's how many leagues under the sea Jules Verne chose for his story, and according to wikipedia is the number that comes after 19,999 and before 20,001. Perfect!

This should leave enough freedom for me to read what I want, whether it be something 1200 pages long or a 70 page novella. Or half a poetry anthology. Or the back of a cereal box. It'll all count! (exaggerating a bit).

So maybe this blog will pick back up again, because I realize it's been deadly as of late. Thanks for sticking with me, dear sparse followers.

Happy new year!

4 comments:

  1. Good idea! I've actually been considering a page count goal instead of a book count myself. Last year I read a bunch of chunkster nonfiction books that took me weeks to finish. The end result was that I failed to meet my reading goals while I read a lot of heavy duty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My idea exactly. This way I won't be penalized for reading longer stuff. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to following your reading again, while doing very little of it myself and feeling guilty about it.

    That's a slight exaggeration. I just finished a term of being a PhD student, and I don't think I've ever read so much in my life. I guess, in a way, it was my Skyrim, as I feel like I'm coming out from under a rock or out from a cave. I'll be slinking back in/under in a week, but until then, hoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I feel that your time commitments as a PhD student are a bit more worthwhile than mine pretending to kill cave trolls in a video game. But I hope you have a nice break. And good luck next term. Work hard and be smart so I don't have to!

      Delete