Google+

Friday, May 4, 2012

Free Comic Book Day!

Tomorrow, May 5th, is Free Comic Book Day! Just like last year, I have to work so I won't be able to participate. But I'll be seeing The Avengers that night, possibly the most comic bookiest film of all time, so I guess it evens out.

Here's a list of all the comic titles that will be given out for free. The point is to get you into an indie comic store so you can see what you're missing out on.

Once you get your freebie, what else should you check out? I don't really have any new suggestions other than what I recommended last year. Now we're in season nine of the Buffy comics, which have improved a lot since season eight. I'm on volume 9 of The Walking Dead comics, which finally went to such a dark place that I'm not sure how the TV show will handle it. But who knows. We are twisted individuals.

You could also check out the new re-issued Sailor Moon manga. But if you're serious, you're better off buying the somewhat rare first editions by Mixx; because despite the larger format and a few nice glossy pages, the new Kodansha releases have HORRIBLE translations. Like reading an English dub on paper. And there's no justification for that.

OR you could read the entire series online for free. I don't feel guilty at all for linking that, because buying the good translations could easily set you back several hundred dollars. I totally bought them for $10 a piece in high school though. Profit!

And Naoko Takeuchi's work is still easily my favorite illustrative artwork. Intricately detailed architecture and the flowiest damn hair you'll ever see. About a million examples below.









chooom indeed.

More, more, more, more, and more.

Other things to look for if you find yourself in a comic book store tomorrow and aren't particularly into comic books or Marvel/DC superheroes but you want to see what the fuss is about (and stuff):

Scott Pilgrim
anything by Daniel Clowes
Love and Rockets
Watchmen
Adventure Time

So find an indie comic store near you and take advantage of the freeness, Charlie Brown!




No comments:

Post a Comment